- – 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- – 2/4 cup of sugar
- – 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- – ¼ tsp baking soda
- – ½ tsp salt
- – 1 bar of unsalted butter (cold and cut in pieces)
- – ½ cup milk
- – 2 tsp vanilla extract
- – 1 egg
- – egg wash (one egg beaten with 1 tbsp of water, you can also use a Little bit of milk)
- – Raw sugar (or any type of sugar you have)
Butter has to be cold and cut in cubes. To me, it’s always better if you use your hands but a stand mixer works as well. If you like raisins/chocolate you can fold them in later 🙂
- – Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- – In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (first 5).
- – In a small bowl mix together the milk, vanilla extract and the egg.
- – Add the butter cubes to the dry mixture. For this I like to use my hands, which takes a bit more time but it’s a lot more fun. You can also use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
Time to preheat the oven! –> 400F
- – Add the milk mixture to the butter mixture and combine until the dough comes together. You can either use your hands or a stand mixer.
- – Place the dough on a floured surface (I use a baking sheet). Shape into a circle, a little less than an inch thick, cut triangular pieces and put it on the prepared baking sheet.
- – Brush egg wash on top and sprinkle raw sugar 🙂 !
- – Bake for about 18 minutes or until golden brown (not burned haha)
The recipe makes 8 big pieces. Hope you try it out! I’d be more than happy to know how they turn out for you!
[adapted from http://www.laurainthekitchen.com ]